Last year marked the beginning of the very first Brony holiday: Derpy Day. It was a fun time for reflection, friendship, and realizing just how far I actually had to drive to find a bakery that would sell me a fresh muffin (the answer was ~30 miles, if you were curious). But one plucky Australian missed the date, and resolved to make up for it with something he called Operation: Indiscriminate Friendship. It was about delivering positive messages and cupcakes to strangers in exchange for impromptu renditions of the Evil Enchantress song, which I think turned out rather well.
The funny thing about holidays is that they come once a year, and wouldn't you know it, it's almost March again. And March means marching orders, everypony. If you want to get involved in a fun and silly little project to make the lives of total strangers just a little bit brighter, then check below after this delicious page break. Page breaks: still sponsored by Brony Cola, the only cola I can ever think of.
Hi, I'm Thanqol. I like ponies.
As some of you may know, March 1st is Derpy Day, the greatest holiday of all time. Derpy Day has the following rules:
- You must eat a muffin.
- You must take a picture of yourself walleyed.
- You must write someone a letter.
I, however, want to give something more back to this wonderful, messed-up world and all it's folks. You know the saying that there's no such thing as a free lunch? Screw that.
The world should totally be a place where you get a free lunch. The world should totally be a place where awesome things happen to you for no reason. And if the world isn't like that already, I'm going to do what I can to make it like that. That's why I'm running Operation: Indiscriminate Friendship.
- I must distribute 50+ muffins to random passers by on the street.
- I must convince as many random strangers as possible to sing Pinkie Pie's "Singing Telegram" for the camera, which will be compiled into a video which will be uploaded to Youtube
- I must collect as many nice, hopeful and inspirational letters from people from the internet as possible and distribute these to random mailboxes all over town.
To prove I'm not bluffing, here's the link to last year's Derpy Day, where the song of choice was "Evil Enchantress" http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL63DBFF1BFF384B78&feature=mh_lolz
Where you come in:
I want you all to write a letter to a stranger. You'll have no idea who you're writing to because it'll be printed off and dropped into a random mailbox somewhere in Canberra. Maybe it won't get read, but maybe it will, and if it does it might just bring a smile to someone's face.
You can make them as long or as short as you'd like, but try to keep them less than an A4 page each. I'll also be collecting all these letters into a big document to put up for everyone to read at the end of the event.
Send all of these letters to [email protected]
(Note: Don't send attachments; put the text in the body of the email)
If you feel I'm onto something, here are some things you can do to help make this event a little more indiscriminate.
- I need a poster image. I can design one myself but it'll be mediocre. It needs to promise free muffins in big, eye catching letters and not be too obviously pony related. I'll put any submissions in the compilation post.
- Sing "Singing Telegram" yourself, or convince any friends or passerby to do so on your behalf. If you know anyone with an awesome voice now's the time to call in a favour. I'll add any such videos to the completed Youtube playlist; email the links to the same email address.
- Print off and distribute your own copies of the Letters to a Stranger
- Hold your own parallel Derpy Day where you distribute your own set of free muffins.
Thank you for your time, everypony. Let's make the best pony proud.
- The pegasus ponies have been bonkers here recently, with summer hail and everything, so the event might be delayed a few days. Depending on volume of responses, I'm hoping to get everything compiled within a week of the event's end.
And that as they say, fillies and gentlecolts, is that. Write letters, share letters, send letters. It's everything a mailmare could ever want to feel loved. We're way bigger than we were before, so let's make this Derpy Day the best day ever!