Thank you for considering Equestria Daily as the future home of your hard work. We’re honored that you want to showcase your story with us. In order to maximize your chances of getting published here, take the following rules to heart (really, they’re not as horrid as you’d think!):
1) Only submit your own works.
You cannot submit works by other authors even if you're not taking credit for the work. We will reject the submission if this is the case.
2) Edit your submission before sending it in.
Please do not rely on the pre-readers for editing services or in-depth feedback. As we are uncompensated volunteers, we simply do not have the time or capacity to help every author improve their work. Try The Omnibus or one of the many editing groups.
3) Ensure your story meets our length requirements.
- — We do not accept short story collections. If the short story is over the word limit, submit it as a standalone.
- — Multi-parters: 3,000+ words overall at submission time.
- — One-shots (complete, one-part stories): 2,500+ words.
- — Sequels get an autopost under the original fic but they will not get a solo post.
- — X-rated content, including sexually transgressive or gory stories
- — Incest, foalshipping beyond a schoolyard crush, and other broad cultural taboos
- — Humanized/anthro stories will be taken on a case by case basis (EQG is fine)
- — Copy-paste stories (e.g. The text of Harry Potter with character names swapped out)
- — Stories written in a language other than English
- —Drug references are not permitted, alcohol references will be taken on a case by case basis
- — No stories involving bronies. (Human in Equestria is fine)
- — We do not accept stories involving real people (from the fandom or otherwise).
- — Script format stories
Strikes ARE NO LONGER AUTOMATIC
Strikes are no longer automatic with rejections. They will be given on a case-by-case basis if we feel you haven't been putting any effort in between submissions. Pay attention to your rejection e-mail so you know whether or not you received a strike, and mark the appropriate box when you resubmit. All strikes prior to March 12, 2014 have been forgiven, but stories rejected for content issues should not be resubmitted, as they likely will still not be accepted.
6) Take a look at our Editor’s Omnibus.
The first four points above are non-negotiable; we just highly recommend this last one. The Omnibus is a continuously updated guide that covers the common pitfalls and oversights of many novice authors, and even some more experienced writers might find some use from it. Give it a once-over and see if its words might help yours before you send us that email.
7) If you submit a story, make sure we can see it on the internet!
Google Docs and Fimfiction both allow you to "lock" a page. Be sure it is unlocked! Google Docs is locked by default. You can unlock them via the share settings (small chain symbol at the top). We strongly recommend you use either Google Docs or Fimfic as they don't require us to download any files. (No Dropbox or Pastebin please!)
Have a question that isn't answered above? Email [email protected] with any question or concerns and we'll do our best to quickly reply.
Does your fic meet all the requirements? Now go submit it!