Thank you for considering Equestria Daily as the future home of your hard work. We’re honored that you want to showcase your story with us. In order to maximize your chances of getting published here, take the following rules to heart (really, they’re not as horrid as you’d think!):
1) Edit your submission before sending it in.
Please do not rely on the pre-readers for editing services or in-depth feedback. As we are uncompensated volunteers, we simply do not have the time or capacity to help every author improve their work.
2) Ensure your story meets our length requirements.
- — We do not accept short story collections. If the short story is over the word limit, submit it as a standalone.
- — Multi-parters: 3,000+ words overall at submission time.
- — One-shots (complete, one-part stories): 2,500+ words.
- — Sequels get an autopost under the original fic but they don't get a solo post.
- — X-rated content, including sexually transgressive or gory stories
- — Incest, foalshipping beyond a schoolyard crush, and other broad cultural taboos
- — Humanized/anthro stories
- — Avoid people from the fandom, famous or otherwise.
- — Copy-paste stories (e.g. The text of Harry Potter with character names swapped out)
- — Stories written in a language other than English
- — No stories involving bronies. -Human in Equestria on the other hand is alright.
- — No compilations of short stories.
- — We do not accept stories involving real people (from the fandom or otherwise).
- — Script format
3 Strikes NO LONGER EXISTS
Strikes are no longer mandatory with rejections. They will be given on a case-by-case basis if we feel you haven't been making sufficient progress between submissions. Pay attention to your rejection e-mail so you know whether or not you received a strike, and mark the appropriate box when you resubmit. All strikes prior to [date we instituted the new system] have been forgiven, but stories rejected for content issues should not be resubmitted.
5) Take a look at our Editor’s Omnibus.
The first four points above are non-negotiable; we just highly recommend this last one. The Omnibus is a continuously updated guide that covers the common pitfalls and oversights of many novice authors, and even some more experienced writers might find some use from it. Give it a once-over and see if its words might help yours before you send us that email.
6) Rejection based on other reasons
Due to the ever-changing nature of fanfiction and the fandom as a whole, the pre-readers can and do reject things based on necessity. Overpopulated crossovers, tropes that have been done way too many times. EQD is primarily here to spotlight the best and most original stuff, we are not specifically a fanfiction website.
7) If you submit a fanfic, make sure we can see it!
Google Docs and Fimfiction both allow you to "lock" a page. Be sure it is unlocked! Google Docs is locked by default. You can unlock them via the share settings (small chain symbol at the top).
Does your fic meet all the requirements? Now go submit it!